Sunday 17 July 2016

Nuclear Renaissance - MRP Pursuit Special

"Kick her in the guts Barry!" - Jim Goose.


Well, sooner or later it was going to happen.
After all you can't have a mad max inspired setting without the iconic hero vehicle.



The catalyst was finding an elderly and rather battered Matchbox Specials 1/40 Pro stock car at a car boot sale (Stock photo above) At 1/40 scale it's a little on the large side, but it instantly grabbed me as a great starting point for an replica of Max's V8 as it already had a similar side windows, wide arches, nosecone and boot spoiler to the famous falcon.
Price paid? A princely 25 pence!



The conversion was a very simple one, the front wheels were glued up tight into the arches to give it a bit of a stance, I added the fuel tanks, exhausts and supercharger and built a police light for the bonnet / hood.

It's not at all accurate to any of films iterations of the falcon but I think it makes for a reasonably recognisable famicile of all the key elements, still no triple zoomies :(

Thanks for stopping by! Most likely some more post apoc terrain next time up...

7 comments:

  1. Great car. Good work and it is recognisable as a interceptor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Matt! That is quite the transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled onto your blog and one of the first things that piqued my interest was this car. I actually had that particular Matchbox car as a teen. I modified it, kept it for years, but then for some insane reason (probably alcohol related?) I stupidly threw it out :(

    Fast forward twenty odd years and I decided to try and make my creation again. But try as I may I just couldn't find the particular Matchbox car model that I needed.....that was until today, when I found your blog :)

    Happy days are ahead.

    Cheers.

    Oh, and your conversion looks Ace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Glad to be of help it's not often I'm much use lol

      Delete
    2. Cheers! Glad to be of help it's not often I'm much use lol

      Delete