Tuesday 7 June 2016

Nuclear Renaissance - Radioactive Ruins #1

"I'll be fine, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine" - Pre war music lyric.

First of a trio of small ruins.

The first objective with this group was to make some bits of terrain that could be placed individually or together as parts of a single building.

The second objective was (as with all the NR scenery) that it should be free and cobbled together from what I had to hand.

Like my previous small NR terrain pieces, I used old scratched up discs for the bases. The Ruins were made from bits of polystyrene packaging, I made a crap job of sealing the polystyrene before the undercoating so I suffered a fair bit of the dreaded melt but as these are quick pieces designed to be used and abused I shrugged it off and carried on.

This first ruin is the most substantial of the three and features a lookout post bodged together from car parts and scrap metal (all those leftover bits of diecast car are really coming in handy)
There is also a grisly pile of dusty bones piled up inside, perhaps victims of the lookouts occupants?

Painting all the Graffiti was lots of fun,  although it's definitely something I need to improve on in future, by the time I'd finished all three I'd found a few simple symbols I could reproduce quicly and easily across the trio (smile faces / skulls / mushroom clouds etc) that seemed to work well to break up the scrawled writing and insults.

Thanks for stopping by! Part two of three coming soon!

3 comments:

  1. Very cool! I've done some scavenged barricades in similar fashion, I'm reminded I need to add more of these kinds of details to my bigger scenery!

    I really need to check out NR, I have some necromunda gangs that I bet would fit in perfectly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian, all those random bits you never thought you'd find a use for are perfect for stuff like this.

      Necromunda models would be a good fit, but you will end up with very small gangs as ranged weapons are prohibitively expensive to take more than a handful.

      Delete
  2. I am loving this. Lots of detail. Great work.

    ReplyDelete